Literacy Development Officer (LDO)
Shishu Polli Plus
Job Description / Responsibility
- Overall Responsibilities:
- Develop, lead and manage the Mothers’ Literacy Programme.
- Oversee the Child Study Support Programme.
- Budget and account for both the Mothers’ Literacy and Child Study Programmes.
- Encourage Critical Thinking and Scientific Learning through everyday science activities.
- Responsibilities and task:
- Mothers’ Literacy Programme:
- Implement and provide support to others in using non-formal methods of literacy development (for example, Reflect, Ekata, Lahanti, or Songlap).
- Assess the need for and the skills required by the Literacy Development Team to deliver the literacy programme in a way that ensures that all mothers progress towards functional literacy during their stay at SPP.
- Establish the staff required, teaching systems and support needed by the Team to deliver for the Literacy Programme (within the current budget).
- Schedules the Mothers’ Literacy Programme to ensure all mothers receive effective literacy tuition that caters to their learning styles and needs.
- Assess the level of literacy ability of the mothers living at SPP and allocate to appropriate classes.
- Analyse current teaching methods across all groups of mothers to identify effective teaching strategies for the different ability levels.
- Write an annual training plan for the Literacy Development Team that uses team teaching as the main method of programme improvement.
- Lead literacy sessions for the mothers that clearly show effective teaching methods and use these as model sessions for all team members.
- Child Study Support:
- Act as a role model for mothers in supporting children within their education.
- Observe study sessions within the school to ensure they are meeting the needs of the participants.
- Observe Child Study Sessions and identify both the mothers who are good models of practice and those in need of more intensive support.
- Identify ways of making study time more effective- facilitation, etc. (within current budget).
- Work with Programme Organisers to help them manage the study sessions within CMC.
- Refer mothers in need of more intensive support to Coordinator: Training and Capacity Development to receive the support required so that may take an active role in their children’s education.
- Provide sessions for mothers to observe effective study support, using mothers judged to be effective as role models.
- Work in partnership with the Coordinator: Training and Capacity Development to help develop the mothers’ ability to support their children’s education.
- Keep records of attendance for all study facilitators and calculate wages.
- Work with the Accounts section by submitting budget/cost records to ensure payments to the facilitators on monthly basis.
- Science Literacy:
- Encourage the mothers to learn about science from everyday activities.
- Experience of and expertise in, non-formal methods of literacy development, for example Reflect, Ekata, Lahanti, or Songlap, with women in Bangladesh
- Understanding and experience on ‘right based’ program delivery in root levels
- Basic knowledge of the Bangladeshi Primary Curriculum
- Good level of English (particularly written)
- Experience of budgeting and financial reconciliation
- Good time management and analytical skill
- Other facilities following SPP HR policy and practice (i.e. Bonus, PF, Gratuity, Hospitalization Plan and Group Insurance).
- SPP will provide free single accommodation with subsidized food.
Online Job Posting
Hard copy of the application may be sent to the following address:
Head of HR & Administration
Shishu Polli Plus (SPP)
House # 20, Road # 17, Nikunja-2, Dhaka-1229
Applicants are required to send a brief outline (maximum 200 words)’ How will you motivate mothers to work at learning literacy and to continue when classes are finished?’
This will be to attach with his/ her application. This is mandatory and pre-requisite for the short listing process.
Only short listed candidates will be called for interview
‘The Sreepur Village Bangladesh is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and requires all staff and volunteers to demonstrate this commitment in every aspect of their work’.
Applicant must enclose his/her Photograph with CV.
Application Deadline : Feb 28, 2017
Shishu Polli PlusA
Address : House No. 20, Road No. 17, Nikunja – 2, Dhaka – 1229
Business : Shishu Polli Plus (SPP) an NGO working for destitute women and children at Sreepur, Gazipur district